FAIRFAX, VIRGINIA, November 20, 2017 — The State of Utah has selected Federal Engineering, Inc. (FE) to assist the Utah Communication Authority in preparing a request for proposal for a state-wide upgrade of their 800 MHz Radio System.
Mr. Quinton Stephens, General Counsel and Deputy Director for the Authority, indicated: “The Utah Communications Authority is an independent state agency charged with providing and maintaining a public safety communications network on a statewide basis for the benefit and use of local, state, and federal agencies. The Authority requires the support of a professional consulting firm to prepare a request for proposal (RFP) for a state-wide radio system upgrade. The envisioned upgrade is from the existing 800 MHz analog trunked system to a P25 digital trunked system.”
Mr. David Edmunds, the Authority’s Executive Director, stated: “When we went out for bid for a consultant, we wanted the following:
- Extensive knowledge, experience, and understanding of RF theory, design, engineering, implementation, and installation of 700 MHz/800 MHz, P25 Phase 1/Phase 2 trunked radio systems
- Highly educated and experienced with current P25 systems, P25 system features and limitations, P25 end user equipment, compatibility and interoperability issues related to consoles, and other P25 and non P25 equipment, site requirements, interference, and multipath issues
- Extensive knowledge and experience with regard to P25 system programming and end user equipment programming
- Experience with the planning, installation, and migration associated with upgrading from an 800 MHz analog system to a digital P25 system without causing major system outages or down time to system users
- Extensive knowledge and experience with regard to both analog and digital RF propagation on 700 and 800 MHz systems
- Familiar with the diverse geography and terrain within the State of Utah and the challenges the terrain may cause with digital signals
- Experience with successfully preparing and presenting similar or closely related requests for proposals on a state-wide or multi county scale
Federal Engineering’s proposal demonstrated they met or exceeded all of the above requirements.”
Mr. Ronald F. Bosco, FE’s President and CEO, provided a summary of the project: “Federal Engineering has assisted jurisdictions across the country with $ billions in public safety mobile radio procurements. Our proven methodologies and comprehensive RFPs will position Utah to receive a system that meets their needs at an affordable price.”
Federal Engineering is a leading, nationwide firm providing analysis, design, procurement, and implementation support for NG9-1-1, PSAPs, ECCs, and EOCs. These services complement FE’s wide range of consulting services in public safety and public service communications involving LTE as well as traditional VHF, UHF, 700 MHz, 800 MHz, 900 MHz, and 4.9GHz mobile radio systems. FE also supports FirstNet planning in anticipation of the Nationwide Public Safety Broadband Network. Since 1983, FE has completed thousands of communications projects for 46 state governments, as well as numerous local and federal government clients.
In addition to its public sector work, Federal Engineering provides design and implementation support services for voice, data, and video networks used in the transportation, utilities, aerospace, finance, education, publishing, and computer services industries. FE’s certified independence ensures that clients receive objective, unbiased consulting services that are not influenced by any particular technology, product, vendor, or approach.