The City of Marion Awards Federal Engineering a Contract for 9-1-1 Consolidation Consulting
FAIRFAX, VIRGINIA, December 11, 2017 — The City of Marion, Iowa, has awarded Federal Engineering, Inc. (FE) a contract to conduct a Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) consolidation feasibility study that meets the needs of the Cities of Marion and Cedar Rapids and Linn County, Iowa.
Deputy Chief Douglas Slagle of the City of Marion Police Department said: “We are considering the best course for our three PSAPs and require the services of an established consulting firm that has a proven background in consolidation studies. This firm will serve as a trusted advisor and must not aligned with any software or systems vendor. Federal Engineering was chosen because of the firm’s 34 years of experience in E9-1-1, NG9-1-1, PSAP design, CAD/RMS systems, as well as LMR voice, data, backhaul, broadband, and emerging LTE communications.”
Ronald F. Bosco, FE’s President and CEO, stated: “Governance, collaboration, training, new technologies, and change management provide a multitude of challenges in a consolidation project. FE will evaluate the following for the Cities of Marion and Cedar Rapids and Linn County:
- Governance — Recommendations regarding how the three participating PSAPs should organize themselves to provide long-term sustainability of the consolidated operation
- Facilities — Space, environment, and logistics required to support consolidated PSAP operations now or in the future
- Technology/Equipment — Existing technology and equipment and the best practice solutions for equipping a consolidated PSAP facility
- Operations/Staffing — Management and staffing review and analysis related to the operation of the consolidated PSAP facility including any impact on back-up operations
- Training — Training materials, processes, frequency, desired outcomes
At the conclusion of this project, we will deliver a Feasibility Study for Consolidated 9-1-1 and Dispatch Report.”
As a leading, nationwide communications systems planning and design firm, Federal Engineering develops voice, data, and video networks for numerous organizations in the aerospace, energy, finance, education, publishing, and computer services fields. In addition to its private sector work, FE has completed thousands of communications projects for 46 state governments, as well as numerous local and federal government clients. FE’s certified independence ensures that clients receive objective, unbiased consulting services that are not influenced by any particular technology, product, vendor, or approach.
Federal Engineering, Inc., recently added the L.R. Kimball public safety communications consulting practice to the firm. FE now offers the services of a worldwide leader in public safety answering point (PSAP) consulting. With FE/Kimball, jurisdictions can rely upon one firm for virtually all of their consulting needs in E9-1-1, NG9-1-1, PSAPs, Emergency Call Centers, and Emergency Operations Centers as well as land mobile radio voice, wireless data, broadband, backhaul, and emerging LTE mobile communications systems.