Dinwiddie County Chooses Federal Engineering as Radio Consultant
FAIRFAX, VIRGINIA, January 30, 2017 — The County of Dinwiddie, VA has selected Federal Engineering, Inc. (FE) as the County’s radio consultant to support the upgrade of its public safety mobile radio systems.
Ms. Denice Crowder, Project Manager for the County, said: “Dinwiddie County is a rural jurisdiction of 504 square miles with a population of approximately 28,000 located in south central Virginia. The County’s existing Public Safety Communication System was constructed in 2005, with upgrades in 2013. The current system will no longer be supported by the manufacturer as of December 31, 2020.”
Ms. Crowder continued: “Dinwiddie County sought a qualified public safety communications system consultant to assess our users’ needs, analyze the current radio system, make recommendations and provide direction for the County-wide public safety radio system that will, eventually, be fully interoperable in the region. We chose Federal Engineering because of their extensive radio systems background in Virginia as well as with similar jurisdictions across the county. Because FE has completed numerous projects in the Commonwealth, they have a greater appreciation for what it will take to create seamless interoperability with our neighboring jurisdictions.”
Mr. Ronald F. Bosco, FE’s President and CEO, described the tasks to be performed: “FE will:
- Phase 1: Evaluation, Findings and Recommendations. Evaluate the existing radio system.
- Make recommendations for the upgrade and/or replacement solution for the existing radio system. Identify funding sources or grants available.
- Phase 2: Bidding Assistance
- Develop technical specifications to procure the recommended communications equipment. Analyze the projected costs of equipment, systems, construction, and services.
- Provide assistance in obtaining funds from potential sources identified in the analysis. Assist County staff with developing an RFP and assist with bidder inquiries.
- Develop necessary proposal weighting criteria. Assist in evaluation of vendor proposals.
- Assist County with interview and selection process of vendors.
- Phase 3: Project Management
- Serve as the Project Manager including oversight of all vendors, installation, and construction. Be available for public meetings to explain the project and its impact on the local community. Monitor and assess acceptance tests.”
Federal Engineering is the leading, nationwide firm providing analysis, design, procurement, and implementation support for public safety and public service communications. FE provides consulting services involving LTE as well as traditional VHF, UHF, 700 MHz, 800 MHz, 900 MHz and 4.9GHz mobile radio systems. FE also supports FirstNet planning for the Nationwide Public Safety Broadband Network.
Federal Engineering, Inc., recently added the L.R. Kimball public safety communications consulting practice to the firm. FE now offers the services of a worldwide leader in public safety answering point (PSAP) consulting. With FE/Kimball, jurisdictions can rely upon one firm for virtually all of their consulting needs in E9-1-1, NG9-1-1, PSAPs, Emergency Call Centers, and Emergency Operations Centers as well as land mobile radio voice, wireless data, broadband, backhaul, and emerging LTE mobile communications systems.