Federal Engineering to Provide Public Safety Consulting Services to the City of Seattle
FAIRFAX, VIRGINIA, April 24, 2017 — The City of Seattle, Washington has contracted with Federal Engineering, Inc. (FE) to provide public safety consulting services in support of the City’s Police Department (SPD).
Mr. Ronald F. Bosco, FE’s President and CEO, described the project: “FE will assess the technical and operational status of Seattle Emergency Communications. Tasks to be performed will include:
- Implement recommendations from the City’s Strategic Staffing Study/Plan for Communications
- Assist with the Staffing Study for Civilianization of Communications Division Leadership and Management
- Oversee the NG-911 Project including network review and specifications, eCats implementation oversight, and support of negotiations with other jurisdictions
- Review and oversight of SPD interests for the PSERN Radio project: fleet map consulting and design reviews for coverage including in-building coverage issues working with SFD Fire Marshall
- Provide Leadership Training Seminar as well as a mentoring process for Communications Supervisors
- Review and recommend alternative practices for the TRU function and provide a high-level project plan to incorporate the function in a Concierge Service Bureau with SPD; provide plan, design and public marketing recommendations
- Review and make recommendations to streamline and make more cost effective the recruitment, background check, hiring, and training processes within Communications
- Review and make recommendations to align the Standard Operating Procedures with Communications and the Patrol Function
- Provide assistance for continued Procedure Improvements in Communications Center
- Institute a Quality Assurance program for Communications Division”
Chief of Police Kathleen O’Toole indicated: “L.R. Kimball personnel have been supporting our Department for over 2 years. They have assisted with the redesign of the Communications Center, assessed the existing 911 network making recommendations for redesign based upon national standards, made staffing recommendations and suggested call processing improvements. We look forward to continuing this collaboration now that they are part of Federal Engineering.”
Federal Engineering is the leading, nationwide firm providing analysis, design, procurement, and implementation support for public safety and public service communications. FE provides consulting services involving LTE as well as traditional VHF, UHF, 700 MHz, 800 MHz, 900 MHz and 4.9GHz mobile radio systems. FE also supports FirstNet planning for the Nationwide Public Safety Broadband Network. Since 1983, FE has completed thousands of projects for 46 state governments, as well as numerous local and federal government clients.
Federal Engineering, Inc., recently added the L.R. Kimball public safety communications consulting practice to the firm. FE now offers the services of a worldwide leader in public safety answering point (PSAP) consulting. With FE/Kimball, jurisdictions can rely upon one firm for virtually all of their consulting needs in E9-1-1, NG9-1-1, PSAPs, Emergency Call Centers, and Emergency Operations Centers as well as land mobile radio voice, wireless data, broadband, backhaul, and emerging LTE mobile communications systems.